Sunday, April 27, 2008

It's been a long weekend

It was a really long week last week. Monday and Tuesday I had a sick child home. Granted, he wasn't really whiny but it does throw the whole schedule off. Especially after being gone for four days. So by Wednesday, I needed kid-free time to get some things done around the house. Oddly enough, not much got accomplished though. Between running errands and grocery shopping, there wasn't time for much else. By Friday, I was pretty much fried. I am not sure if I was tired from last weekend, or from having a sick kid, or from my allergies, or maybe just a combination of them all. So when bedtime rolled around Friday, I was ready for a good nights slumber. That unfortunately did not happen.

At 12:15 a.m., I feel a light tap, tap on my arm and hear "Mommy, my tummy hurts". So I jump out of bed, hustle young child to the bathroom just in time for him to throw up. After he's finished, we go to his bathroom, brush his teeth, change his pajamas (he was very sweaty) and put him back to bed. I crawl back into the comfort of my bed (careful not to disturb husband who is either pretending to be asleep or who actually is). Just as I am getting back into a deep sleep, I feel a tap, tap on my arm again and hear "Mommy, it's happening again". So, I jump out of the bed, hurry young child to the bathroom and repeat. This time, I wash his face then put him back to bed. As I get back into bed, I hear husband ask "What's wrong?" This is the point where you really want to be ugly and smack them up side the head. But, I refrained and told him what was going on. To which he replied "Oh".

Fast forward a couple of hours to 3:15 a.m. and again, I feel tap, tap only a bit harder and hear a moaning. I open my eyes and find older son standing at the side of the bed holding his ear. When I ask what is wrong, he tells me his ear is hurting. At this point, husband says to son, "Come get into the bed". I am thinking, "How is this helping his hurting ear?" but again, I refrain from saying anything. So I get out of bed, tromp downstairs and find some Ibuprofen. Back up stairs, I give son the medicine and then try to find the ear drops that numb his ear which were no where to be found. I searched high and lo for a good half an hour. Husband did get out of bed to help but then exasperatedly told me I was searching for a needle in a haystack then crawled back into bed. The ear drops were not found and son did finally go back to sleep.

By Saturday morning, I was less rested than the day before. But, we had a soccer game to go to and a million chores to get done so there was no lying around resting.

Saturday afternoon, my husband suggested we go and have dinner with my parents. So we drove the hour and a half to eat dinner with them, the we drove home.

This morning, we got up and packed lunches, sunscreen, blankets and chairs and headed down to the Annual "Blessing of the Fleet" where a priest blesses each shrimp boat before the start of the season (which is tomorrow). There were games, crafts, food vendors, music, jump castles and arts exhibitions. And lots and lots of people.

So tonight, I am headed up stairs to crawl into the bed and watch a few minutes of television before I try and get some much needed rest. Hopefully I will have no sick children, no snoring husband, and no bout of insomnia.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of the weekend.

1 comments:

Kim Eckhardt said...

They're all alike, aren't they? LOL.

Hope the kiddies are feeling better and you get some undisturbed rest!