Thursday, April 24, 2008

I am not a big television person. At the most I watch 3 hours a week. Due to the writers strike, my favorite show, Grey's Anatomy has been off the air for months now which left me watching next to no television. Enter American Idol. Now I am almost embarrassed to confess that I watch this show religiously. I am not sure what exactly appeals to me about the show. Maybe it's that regular people have a chance to make their dreams come true.

While I love the show, here's what gripes me. Rather than a talent competition, it has turned into a popularity contest. Last week, one of my favorite performers, Michale Johns was voted off the show. This week, 38 million Americans cast their votes and the two worst performers from Tuesday night, Brooke White and Jason Castro, somehow managed to avoid even being in the bottom two. Instead, the two strongest female performers, Carly Smithson and Syesha Mercado, ended up at the bottom.

Now I will be the first to admit that I don't have a clue what makes a good performing artist (I'll leave that up to Simon who is usually on the money even if he does come across as a jerk). And I am tone deaf and couldn't sing in tune if my life depended on it. However, I do know what I like and what sounds good to me. And the performance by Jason (who has been one of my favorites) was horrible. He was off key and the song just flat out didn't cut it. And Brooke. She is such a likeable person which is about the only reason I believe she made it through after forgetting the lyrics to the song and having to start over.

Syesha has never been in my top 5. She is a good singer but I have always felt like she was a much better theatrical singer than a pop star. But her performance of the Broadway song on Tuesday was outstanding. I am sure that in the end she will end up becoming a Broadway performer.

And Carly. To me she just had it. Her big voice could adapt to whatever theme the producers chose. She has an incredible talent, and she was a leading contender from the beginning of the season. So what can I say? I know in the end, Carly will end up with a contract because she is good enough to make a go of it.

Here's Carly singing Jesus Christ Superstar from Tuesday night.



Unfortunately, America goofed up on voting this season. And Carly Smithson was voted off the show last night. “It must be a bit of a popularity vote this week,” Randy said. And I believe he was right. Carly should have ended up in the Top 3.

We'll have to wait another week to see if America gets back on track or if the popularity contest is still going strong. In the meantime, don't bother me tonight because I will be watching the first NEW episode of Grey's Anatomy. At least no one gets to vote Dr. McDreamy off.

0 comments: