Monday, July 9, 2007

Play-Doh


I have a confession to make. I hate Play-Doh. Yes, I know it's good for strengthening those hand muscles, and for nurturing a child's creativity and blah, blah, blah. But, I still hate it.

Did you know that Play-Doh was originally intended to be a Wallpaper Cleaner? Maybe that's why it makes such a mess. Of course had I been the one who introduced Play-Doh to the world, I'd be smiling, all the way to the bank.

In our house a session of Play-Doh playing goes like this:

HARRISON: Mom, can I please, please, play with Play-Doh?

MOM (after sighing loudly): I suppose. But ONLY if you promise to clean up after you have finished.

HARRISON: I promise.

So we carry armfuls of Play-Doh and Play-Doh paraphernalia to the kitchen table where we spread it out.

MOM: Okay, I am going to fold a load of clothes. I'll be back in a few minutes to check on you.

10 minutes later loud yelling comes from the den

HOLDEN: Moooooooooooooom, Harrison got Play-Doh on the carpet.

MOM (screaming from the laundry room): Harrison what were you doing with Play-Doh on the carpet?

HARRISON: I don't know.

MOM: Did you get Play-Doh on the carpet?

HARRISON: Yes.

MOM (panting as she runs downstairs): Where is it on the carpet?

HARRISON: It's all good Mom, I scraped it out with my fingernail.

Returning to the original scene of the crime Mom detects a million pieces of crushed up Play-Doh all over the kitchen floor and table. All the while wondering silently to herself how in the world that much Play-Doh came out of three little tubs. And as she gouges the miniscule pieces of Play-Doh out of the Fuzzy Pumper Barber's head, she swears to herself NEVER again.

So needless to say Play-Doh time at our house is rare. I prefer the roll in the mud get yourself dirty outdoors kind of activities for the kids. That way, you can just hose them off and be done with it.

0 comments: