Friday, July 13, 2007

Children's Imagination

“This world is but a canvas to our imaginations.” Henry David Thoreau

Sometimes as adults we get so busy with life and all of the "have to do" things that we forget to enjoy the simple things that life has to offer. I was reminded of that truth today as I watched my sons create their own world on our back deck. Little by little they hauled things in the back of the John Deere and in the wagon from the garage to the deck to create their own little house. They arranged it just so that they each had their own "bedroom" and a workspace.
It reminded me of the times when I was young and would play house in the sandbox in my backyard. Where the Japanese Plum tree served as my lookout post and the flowers and berries from the bushes were my "food".

Tonight we watched "Bridge to Terabithia" where the children used their imaginations to transport them to the magical land of Terabithians and Trolls. The secret kingdom where good reined over evil and the possibilities were limited only by the things they could imagine.

Somewhere along the way from childhood to adulthood, we forget how it feels to let our imaginations transport us to the world of imaginary friends and places. Looking at a child who is immersed in their own make believe world reminds me of the happiness that I felt when I was the ruler of my world and had ultimate control. What a gift it would be to teach and encourage our children to forever look at the world as a canvas to their imaginations.

0 comments: