Friday, July 27, 2007

Back in 2006 when David and I went to New York, my cousin Spencer, suggested that we all go see the BodyWorlds exhibit. At first I was hesitant because I didn't know if I wanted to look at dead human bodies. Much less ones with the skin removed. But, Spencer convinced us that everyone who had seen it was astounded. So we all went to see the exhibit and I have to tell you that he was right. It was incredible.

In short, the exhibit contains corpses that have been plastinated. They are displayed in various poses and states of dissection. There are in-depth displays and cross sections of every major body part, showing both healthy and diseased organs. There is even a section with fetuses in various stages of growth, including an 8-month old fetus still nestled in it's mother's womb.

If you ever doubted that there was a God, after seeing that exhibit, I don't know how you could. The human body is a miraculous thing. It amazes me how everything works together to make our bodies what they are.

When I left the exhibit I thought about how much Haley would have enjoyed it. She has wanted to be a doctor since she was knee high. So imagine my delight when I found out that this traveling exhibit would be arriving here in Charlotte in June.

Today, I took Haley and Holden to see BodyWorlds at Discovery Place. Harrison stayed with dad, since I figured he was way to young to get anything out of the exhibit. I tried to prepare them before we went about how the displays were once real live humans. And of course, we talked about the section with the fetuses.

We spent over 2 hours walking through this fascinating exhibit. At first, I think they were both taken aback by the fact that the bodies still had their private parts (there was a little snickering at first). But once they got use to seeing them, they became mesmerized by the bodies. Haley was fascinated by the inner organs. Holden was making note of the difference in the smoker's lung and the healthy lung so that he could tell his Uncle (who smokes) how nasty it looked. About halfway, through Holden seemed to get a little bored but then we came upon the display of the man riding the horse. Again, they noted that the horse was male (how could you not) but they also noticed how similar the inner workings of the bodies were.

So in all, it was a good trip. I think that they both enjoyed seeing the exhibit. And in time, they will appreciate it more. But for now, if nothing, they have gotten a glimpse of the incredible thing we call the human body.

1 comments:

spencerpeeples said...

Thanks for the shout-out!