Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's all about Love

Since the big focus in February is Valentine's Day, I decided that during the month our family would write "love" notes to each other. As I was walking through Walmart a couple of weeks ago I came across a blank paper mailbox kit. For $5 the kit came with the mailbox, some stickers and some foam letters. I wasn't keen on the colors of the stickers, plus I wanted to make it my own so I decided to use some Basic Grey paper to cover the mailbox. I used ric rac along the sides and I covered a silver heart brad with pink fun flock to attach the flag. I had some chipboard shapes (heart and scallop circle) which I covered with Basic Grey paper and used some rub on letters to spell "love notes". All in all it took me less than an hour to do the mailbox. The only disappointing thing is that the mailbox is made from a flimsy cardboard so I am not sure it will hold up for more than one year. I wish they had made a metal mailbox which would have lasted longer.






My hope is that during February my family will take time to notice the small acts of kindness that others do. The note can be as simple as "You are the best just because" or can be more specific such as "Thank you for helping me with my homework". The point is that so often we take for granted the small things others do for us. Hopefully my kids will learn a lesson from this and have fun doing it. And maybe once they feel how nice it is to be praised or how good it feels to praise others, they will continue to do it.

2 comments:

Dianna said...

Very cute mailbox and fabulous idea to have everyone write "love notes" to each other.

Kim Eckhardt said...

So cute. I may have to "borrow" this. Okay...steal it. Very cute!