Monday, September 24, 2007

Hugs and Kisses for me

I returned home yesterday after being gone for four days. It is nice to get away but it is also nice to return home. Especially when greeted with hugs and kisses. I had barely stopped the car when Harrison came barreling out of the house to hug me. I opened the car door and in he flew, climbing up on my lap. Squeezing me as hard as he could and kissing me over and over. Haley was following close behind but of course Harrison wouldn't let her anywhere near me until he had gotten his share of hugs and kisses. Holden was off riding his bike but as soon as he got home, I could tell he was glad to see me because of the huge smile on his face.

I spent a few days away at a scrapbook retreat. Unfortunately I did not get very much done in the way of scrapbook pages since I went to help a friend with the retreat. I did however meet a lot of nice people, gathered some great page ideas and didn't have to make a bed or cook a meal for the entire time.

Friday afternoon when I was talking to my husband, he asked how he could post an entry to my blog. I was a little hesitant to give it to him, only because I could not imagine what story would be so important that he could not tell me over the phone. Saturday I had a few minutes of free time and I went online just to see what he had written.

I an not sure what I was expecting when I opened the web page, but it wasn't what I found. I was pleasantly surprised that he had written something about me. It's not that I didn't know how much he cared or how he felt about my place in our family because deep down I guess I did. But sometimes it's nice to hear (and in this case I mean read) really how someone feels. From the heart.

I think we are all guilty of getting busy with our lives and forgetting the important things. Like reminding your loved ones how much love them. Or telling your husband/wife why they are important. Or calling your best friend just because. Or taking your kids to the park even though you have piles of laundry in your floor. Or making brownies for a new neighbor.

What a difference it would make in the world if we would all slow down a little more and enjoy the simple things in life. Like hugging your kids and holding hands with your spouse. Or just telling them how you really feel every once in awhile.

0 comments: