Friday, January 25, 2008

A few thoughts

I have been busy this week trying to finish up a baby album that I am giving as a gift at a baby shower on Sunday. Why I wait until the last minute to do these things is beyond me. Maybe I operate better under pressure? Yes that's it (good excuse anyhow). I am almost finished and I still have 48 hours to go! That's a new record for me as I am usually putting the finishing touches on things right before the event. It hasn't always been that way but somewhere along the line, I became a little bit overwhelmed and well here I am. So I haven't posted much this week although I have had a few things I would like to write about. So here's a little catch up......

On Wednesday evening, we were sitting at the table having dinner. Holden had been in a mood since he had gotten home from school. Homework was a struggle and he had fits off and on throughout the whole process (he tends to do that when he is frustrated). When he got up from the table after homework was done, Haley looked at me and shook her head and said "I don't know how you put up with that because he was even getting on my nerves". So anyhow, back to dinner... Holden went into another one of his fits, grunting and groaning about something. Harrison is staring at him like he had lost his mind when all of a sudden he blurts out "Holden, you need to get a new point of view and stop all that grunting (he made the noises Holden was making)". Amen, to that. Of course I think we all need to be told at one time or another that we need to get a "new point of view".

Fast forward to Thursday after school. As I have mentioned before, Holden has had some difficulty in school. It isn't from lack of knowledge or motivation because he has both. He just struggles with some areas such as writing and spelling. So yesterday when he came home with his report card we were thrilled to see that he had brought up his grades in just about everything. Included in his report card was a notice from the school concerning SAIL testing. SAIL is a program for the top tier of students (a gifted program). Anyhow, even though we had explained this to him, Holden had his hopes set on this program. When he found out that he didn't get in he was upset. He just laid his head on the table and cried. It broke my heart to see him so upset. No amount of telling him how good he had done in school, or that he would have another chance next year, seemed to soothe him. He finally worked it out himself but it was sad to see this kid who wants to do good, be upset because he failed to get into the gifted program. That's the hard part of being a mom. Seeing your child upset and not really being able to do anything about it.

Tonight David and Holden are heading to the weigh in for the Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby. They have to finish up the car this afternoon. Again, the philosophy at my house is "why start early when you can wait until the last minute" (but this time it wasn't me). David was talking about car weight restrictions last night and I had a dumb blonde moment because I said "It shouldn't weigh much since it is made with balsa wood, right?". Yeah, guess that's why it's called the PINEWOOD Derby. So hopefully Holden will do well tomorrow. It would be nice to see him come in first at something. But either way, I hope he has fun. I will post pictures of his car after it's done.

0 comments: