Friday, July 11, 2008

When it rains it pours

Yesterday was our last swim meet. My parents had not been able to make it to one all season so they drove up late yesterday afternoon to watch the kids swim. It had been raining off and on all afternoon but it looked as if the weather was going to clear a bit.

David ran over to the pool around 5 and set up some chairs for us. At our pool if you don't come early and claim a spot, you are forced to sit in the back and all you can see are the other parents heads. Unfortunately shortly after he set up the chairs, it started raining again.

Thankfully the rain didn't last long so, at 6:00 we headed to the pool, loaded down with garbage bags for the chair seats, towels to sit on, dinner and snacks. We got there and it was unbelievably humid. I was wishing that I had brought my swimsuit. We sat down and ate our sandwiches and were chatting with some of the other parents when it started raining again.

My father who is the only one to think ahead, brought two umbrellas. He sat under his huge golf umbrella and the rest of us ran to stand under the shelter. David had suggested we go to the car but thinking that I could predict the weather, I decided that it was going to blow on over and we should just stand under the shelter. Not such a good idea.

Fifteen minutes later it was still raining and the mesh covering the shelter was saturated with water and began to drip. Heavily. At this point I opened the small umbrella my dad had loaned me and David and I huddle together under it. My mom and Harrison stood under his Diego umbrella. As the raining continued to drip down our backs, David looked at me and said "Either we need a bigger umbrella or we need to lose some weight". My mom and Harrison were having the same problem.

By this time, Haley and Holden, who were already wet from swimming practice laps, were cold and wanted to go home.

A friend of ours had his wife (who was at home, lucky her) check the weather and when she said there were more storms coming, we decided to call it quits, even if the coaches did not.

I sent David to get the car while I rounded up the chairs. My mom huddle with Harrison under the umbrella and my dad helped carry the chairs out toward the car. Holden decided to go after David. Unfortunately David did not know this and started driving as Holden was chasing the car beating on the side to get him to stop.

I tried using a garbage bag but at that point I was soaking wet so it didn't help. As we are getting ready to leave the pool, we had to wade though several inches of water to even get out to the car.

By the time we got home we were all wet, cold and ready to be indoors. My dad jokingly said he had come to see the kids swim not swim himself. I think we all felt the same way.

0 comments: