Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I have never been one to make resolutions. Sure, if asked, I will come up with something that sounds remotely like a resolution that I might be able to keep. But honestly, by the third week in January I will have completely forgotten about anything I said I was going to do. I would like to tell you that in 2007 I........

Lost 20 pounds
Exercised 5 days a week
Dusted my house weekly
Never yelled at my kids
Read the Bible from cover to cover
Helped someone in need
Made date nights with my husband
Created hundreds of beautiful scrapbook pages

Instead, I have to tell you that in the past year I...

Lost only 10 pounds
Hardly used my Y membership
My house would never pass the white glove test
Yelled at my kids on one occasion (okay so maybe slightly more than one)
Read a few bible verses
Never mailed the package to the poor African child (but at $65 could you really blame me?)
Went out twice with my husband only
Created just a handful of pages

However, I don't think the past year was a total loss. I did manage to.......

Lose some weight
Learn Photoshop
Create some scrapbook pages
Teach a couple of scrapbook classes
Become closer to my husband
Organize my scrapbook supplies
Purge excess clutter
and most importantly maintain my sanity

In the next year, I am hoping to...

Frown less and smile more
Help those in need
Continue to grow in my faith
Read the Bible on a regular basis
Lose weight to become a healthier me
Not worry about having everything perfect
Enjoy my scrapbooking and not worry about catching up
Be more patient
Accept myself for who I am and not worry about what others think of me
Make new friends
Be a better mother and wife

Since I have never been good at keeping "New Year's resolutions", I would like to call these "life changes". Maybe by posting them here for all the world to see and also posting them above my desk to see on a daily basis, I will be able to make these changes. Of course changes do not happen overnight so I will focus on baby steps. A little change each day and by the end of the year, I will have made these permanent changes in my life. And for that I think I will be a better person.

0 comments: