Friday, June 8, 2007

Yes, I am a slacker

I really, really wanted to post Haley's graduation pictures yesterday but I was honestly too tired to even think straight. I left home yesterday morning with the kids at 7:15 and I got home with the kids at 2:15. I had to be there in time to unload the three laundry baskets full of water balloons before graduation started. After the graduation ceremonies, I spent most of the day helping at the 5th grade water day (in the blazing hot sun). Those kids had a blast though so it was all worth it. Then I attended an awards ceremony in Haley's classroom where she was given the Super Student award. This has been a good year for Haley. She was truly blessed with one of the most outstanding, caring and compassionate teachers ever. All of the kids adored him and I think he made an indelible impression on their lives.


Last night, after it was all said and done, I was thinking about how fast my little girl is growing up. Before I know it, she'll be a teenager (lord help us) then she'll be off to college and then onto a career, marriage and kids. It's all bittersweet. While I look forward to being with her as she goes through these stages of her life, I also miss the little girl she used to be. The one that crawled into my lap at night and snuggled up to read a book. The one that made my heart leap as she sang Happy Birthday Jesus during her Christmas program. The one that let me put bows in her hair and dress her in dresses, frilly socks and Mary Jane shoes. The one that crawled up in bed with me on Saturday mornings just to snuggle. The one that rode in the little red wagon during the Fourth of July parade, waving her flag and all decked out in her red, white and blue holiday finest.


I guess that little girl is still there. Only she is a bigger version of her little self. She still loves to read (does the word voracious mean anything), she still loves to snuggle only she can't crawl in my lap because she's just about as big as me and she does still let me pick out some of her clothes only they aren't frilly or girly.


But I am comforted in the fact that no matter what she will always be my girl. And I can never get back those days when she was little, but I can be thankful for the memories we have made and can look forward to the memories we will make.

0 comments: